Believing that an Auxiliary could provide services to the Williamsburg Community Hospital, the WCH Auxiliary organized on November 20, 1962 with 47 Charter Members. The purpose of the Auxiliary was to provide funding and physical assistance to achieve the highest level of technical and educational standards in the Williamsburg Community Hospital. Today, as in the past, projects funded by the Auxiliary support various health needs, enhance the quality of care, and provide scholarship programs within the Williamsburg community. Over the past 50+ years the Auxiliary has provided equipment, resources and services totaling over $1.5Million ‐‐ we know our job is not finished and we currently provide:
- Free Mammograms for 250+ uninsured referrals per year from area clinics spending over $500,000 on this program since it’s award winning inception in 1998
- 900+ free hand-knit (with special yarn) caps annually for newborns
- A “Transit” car for the Ortho-Joint Center
- A Bioness L300 leg stimulater for the Rehab Department for patients who have suffered stroke, traumatic brain injury, spinal cord injury and other neurological diseases to regain gait function and increase their level of mobility
- Accu-vein finders in 4 different areas in the hospital to make vein finding easier during blood work
- Age appropriate Pediatric Activity Bags for children in the Emergency Room and in-patient Pediatric Unit
- Breast Cancer Retreats annually for women who are Survivors!
- Free Wigs, hand-knitted Caps, Hats, Scarves and TLC for chemo patients at our Unique Boutique
- Tray Favors for each major holiday for inpatient meals
- A personal Lap blanket for patients in need of extra warmth and TLC while staying in the hospital
- Scholarships for high school seniors entering the healthcare field, and for nursing staff members furthering their education
- Pasteurized human donor milk freezer for Family Maternity Center- 1st location on the Peninsula to offer this service
- Pediatric furniture for the new Pediatric Unit at Sentara
- Soothing and calming photo monitors in the Emergency Department Waiting Room
- The Gift Shop with items for patients and families, such as flowers, balloons and so much more. A great place to shop and support the Auxiliary.
- 1st In Virginia Rehab Mobility Park for use by post-op Orthopedic patients and neurological injured patients to learn to traverse their outside environment.