The Mission of the Auxiliary of Sentara Williamsburg Regional Medical Center is to serve others through volunteer service at the hospital and to establish, manage and fund community outreach programs for the benefit of others.
Annual scholarships are awarded to graduating high school seniors in our service area who intend to pursue studies in the healthcare field. The service area we will accept applications from are included on the application form. We are offering 6 Scholarships for $1500 each this year. The deadline to receive applications has passed.
The Winners of the 2021 Auxiliary Scholarships:
Mammogram and Bone Density Programs
. FREE for uninsured women in the SWRMC service area
. Requires prior physician referral or procedure order
. For information or appointments call
- Patients are referred by local clinics such as Olde Towne Medical Center, Angels of Mercy, Lackey Free Clinic, and Gloucester Clinic, and by service area private practice physicians.
- Mammograms and Bone Density scans are performed in the Women’s Imaging Pavilion located in the Geddy Outpatient Center on the SWRMC campus.
- Scans are evaluated by Tidewater Diagnostic Imaging physicians
- Free Mammograms & Bone Density tests for the uninsured in the greater Williamsburg area were started in 1998. This program received the National 2002 American Hospital’s H.A.V.E. Award (Hospital Award for Volunteer Excellence). Our free mammogram program was recognized as the best volunteer program in the country and was celebrated at a congressional reception in Washington, DC. Gert Berthiaume, Auxiliary member and the programs founder, won Williamsburg’s “Women with a Cause” Award in 2007.
The Unique Boutique
. FREE service for local patients undergoing surgery, chemotherapy or radiation
. For information or appointments call
- Located in the Getty Building on the 2nd floor
- Since 2013 the Auxiliary has sponsored the Unique Boutique, a special place to provide complimentary wigs, hand knitted chemo caps, scarves, lab robes, shawls and hats to women undergoing chemotherapy in the Williamsburg community.
- A gentle atmosphere of dignity and caring where all individuals who have lost their hair due to cancer treatment can refocus their energy on healing while receiving individual attention in a comfortable and private setting
Auxiliary Accomplishments–past and present:
- Photo monitors – in the Emergency Department Waiting Room to make the area more calming and soothing for anyone waiting for a patient.
- Hospital Infusion Center — 25 Framed photos and a patient coffee station were placed here to improve the experience of each patient making it a little more friendly and a little less sterile!! We hope to brighten the day for all patients using this center.
- Pasteurized Human Donor Milk Freezer – Many tiny and unwell babies need extra feedings when first born. This specialized refrigeration equipment is designed to store pasteurized mother’s milk, and it is the only such resource on the Peninsula.
- Accuvein Scanners‐ Of particular value in the Pediatric and Emergency Departments, these machines scan for veins allowing staff to locate the largest and easiest blood vessel for blood draws and IV’s.
- Deaf Talk‐ Deaf patients come to the Emergency Room where time is crucial. The Deaf Talk system is a video sign language interpreting service. The system uses a monitor, a tiny camera and an offsite live interpreter to connect the patient to our medical staff. Doctors and nurses can ask the patient questions through the interpreter and receive information back quickly.
- Bioness Stimulators‐ To improve the condition of people living with foot drop or hand paralysis as a result of stroke, multiple sclerosis, traumatic brain injury, incomplete spinal cord injury or cerebral palsy. The Bioness H 200 Arm Simulator and the Bioness L 300 Leg Simulator have both been used to give mobility back to our patients.
- Rehab Simulator “Tran-sit” Car – After joint replacement surgery, stroke, or other injuries, this simulator is used to retrain patients to safely and comfortably enter and exit an automobile without reinjuring themselves or their caregivers.
- Mobility Park — provided for the Sentara Outpatient Rehab Center located in the YMCA Building on the campus. This Mobility Park is the first of its type in Virginia
- This park would provide an area for patients of all ages who have gait related problems and to develop skills for safely negotiating their environments
- Patients will develop an increased confidence and be more likely to maintain or resume normal activities
- A Mobility Park could be a useful resource for our Ortho Joint and Fall Prevention programs
- The Park is located outside near the Rehab Center, located in the YMCA, on the Sentara Campus
- The size of the park is 28 feet wide and 39 feet long
- The Park would include timber and brick stairs with pea gravel, regular gravel, mulch, river stone and river rock as well as stone path steps
- This area will be landscaped to give some privacy to the users as well as be more attractive
- Since these types of surfaces are common in many areas there should be no hazard for people who don’t have gait related problems to use it
- Auxiliary volunteers members create cheerful tray favors for in-hospital Patient Comforts
- Our talented Pineapple Knitters provide soft and warm hand knitted caps for newborns, and chemo caps and scarves for adults
- Each September dedicated volunteers begin to cut and sew Christmas stockings for the December newborns to wear on their way home from the hospital
- We create Pediatric Activity Bags for our young patients and siblings visiting the Emergency and Pediatric Departments
- Annually our Volunteer Coordinators plan and execute fundraising events to support our Outreach Programs
The Healing Garden and Hospital Chapel
. The Auxiliary continues to support the Hospital Chapel and Healing Garden where patients, visitors and staff can experience peace and solitude in a natural setting.
Engraved Remembrance Bricks
Now available for our garden and can be purchased in honor of, or in memory of, your friends and loved ones.
For information or ordering contact
The Pineapple Gift Shop at 757-984-7186