The Mission of the Auxiliary of Sentara Williamsburg Regional Medical Center is to serve others through volunteer service at the hospital and to establish, manage and fund community outreach programs for the benefit of others.
Mammogram and Bone Density Programs
. FREE for uninsured women in the SWRMC service area
. Requires prior physician referral or procedure order
. For information or appointments call
- Patients are referred by local clinics such as Olde Towne Medical Center, Angels of Mercy, Lackey Free Clinic, and Gloucester Clinic, and by service area private practice physicians.
- Mammograms and Bone Density scans are performed in the Women’s Imaging Pavilion located in the Geddy Outpatient Center on the SWRMC campus.
- Scans are evaluated by Tidewater Diagnostic Imaging physicians
- Since April, 1998 the Auxiliary has provided over 3,500 mammogram procedures
The Unique Boutique
. FREE service for local patients undergoing surgery, chemotherapy or radiation
. For information or appointments call
- Located in the Geddy Outpatient Center on the SWRMC campus
- Clients receive FREE wigs, soft handmade chemo caps, chemo scarves and blankets
- A gentle atmosphere of dignity and caring where all individuals who have lost their hair due to cancer treatment can refocus their energy on healing while receiving individual attention in a comfortable and private setting
- Annual scholarships are awarded to graduating high school seniors in our service area who intend to pursue studies in the healthcare field
- Annual scholarships offered to qualified SWRMC employees who are pursing advanced learning in their healthcare field
February 16 to March 24, 2017
Employee SWRMC Application submission dates: May 1 to June 30
Please note the application was revised in April 2017; previous versions will NOT be accepted.
Planning & Funding
- Annually the Auxiliary dedicates a portion of the funds we raise to Planning and Funding
- We fund items of equipment not included in the current year’s SWRMC budget
- All staff members are encouraged to make application for these funds
- Applications are reviewed by our Planning & Funding committee
- The application must also receive final approval from the Board of Directors of SWRMC
Some examples of our purchases are:
- Pasteurized Human Donor Milk Freezer – Many tiny and unwell babies need extra feedings when first born. This specialized refrigeration equipment is designed to store pasteurized mother’s milk, and it is the only such resource on the Peninsula.
- Accuvein Scanners‐ Of particular value in the Pediatric and Emergency Departments, these machines scan for veins allowing staff to locate the largest and easiest blood vessel for blood draws and IV’s.
- Deaf Talk‐ Deaf patients come to the Emergency Room where time is crucial. The Deaf Talk system is a video sign language interpreting service. The system uses a monitor, a tiny camera and an offsite live interpreter to connect the patient to our medical staff. Doctors and nurses can ask the patient questions through the interpreter and receive information back quickly.
- Bioness Stimulators‐ To improve the condition of people living with foot drop or hand paralysis as a result of stroke, multiple sclerosis, traumatic brain injury, incomplete spinal cord injury or cerebral palsy. The Bioness H 200 Arm Simulator and the Bioness L 30 Leg Simulator have both been used to give mobility back to our patients.
- Rehab Simulator Model Car– After joint replacement surgery, stroke, or other injuries, this simulator is used to retrain patients to safely and comfortably enter and exit an automobile without reinjuring themselves or their caregivers.
- Auxiliary volunteers members create cheerful tray favors for in-hospital Patient Comforts
- Our talented Pineapple Knitters provide soft and warm hand knitted caps for newborns, and chemo caps and scarves for adults
- Each September dedicated volunteers begin to cut and sew Christmas stockings for the December newborns to wear on their way home from the hospital
- We create Pediatric Activity Bags for our young patients and siblings visiting the Emergency and Pediatric Departments
- Annually our Volunteer Coordinators plan and execute fundraising events to support our Outreach Programs
The Healing Garden and Hospital Chapel
. The Auxiliary continues to support the Hospital Chapel and Healing Garden where patients, visitors and staff can experience peace and solitude in a natural setting.
Engraved Remembrance Bricks
Now available for our garden and can be purchased in honor of, or in memory of, your friends and loved ones.
For information or ordering contact
The Pineapple Gift Shop at 757-984-7186